Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Week 1 - Follow Up & Take a Look at the Incision!

At my Week 1 Follow up I got to see my incisions for the first time. The surgeon also reviewed all the scope pictures, xrays, etc with me. There are 2 larger incisions and 3 small incisions from the arthroscope. 


If you're unfamiliar with this surgery, or haven't read some of my other posts. I had MPFL Reconstruction and Microfracture. MPFL (medial patello-femoral ligament) Reconstruction consists of attaching a new ligament from the femur into the patella for lateral stability. Microfracture is an "articular cartilage repair surgical technique that works by creating tiny fractures in the underlying bone. This causes new cartilage to develop from a so-called super-clot." (Wiki) Essentially this creates a form of padding because you cannot replace/add or regrow actual cartilage. I had this done on the lateral femoral condyle portion of my femur. I had severe cartilage damage in that location from when the patella would dislocate and upon snapping back in place it would hit and scrap the outside of my femur. I also have a lot of cartilage damage on the underside of my patella but there is really nothing they can do (along with some small fracturing). I will have to be conscious of my knees in the future because I am a candidate for early arthritis. 


Below are the pictures of my knee 1 week post surgery along with the brace I will be in for the next (at least) 3 months.


Original Ace Bandage with Knee Still Wrapped Beneath from Surgery

With Brace

Top View, Left Knee. 2 Large Incisions with 3 Smaller Scope Incisions

Side View, Left Knee (from Inside of Knee), Better Shot of Two Incisions

Side View, Left Knee (from Outside of Knee), sorry for the upside down photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment