Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Week 2 - Progressing...

I wanted to share some overall comments about how my first 2 weeks post-op have been.

On the day of the surgery - I was surprisingly awake, came home, and did very well. Day 2 was definitely the hardest. I would say that the most difficult days were day 2 - 5. As I was told and read in several places - STAY AHEAD OF THE PAIN. Take the medicine every 4-6 hrs, elevate constantly and ice 4-6x day. I found that for me, until day 6 I had to take the pain meds every 4 hrs. I tried every 6hrs at first but it would take too much time to kick in. Taking them every 4-5 hrs allowed the medicine time to get in my system before the last dose completely wore off. My day 6 I started to take 1 pill instead of 2 and move to every 6 hrs. By Day 8 I was no longer taking meds during the day. I still take them to sleep at night so that I don't move and get some deeper sleep. Also - make sure you're elevating when you sleep!! I was also given medicine for nausea along with a stool softener. If you take the nausea meds (even if you're not nauseous) it will intensify the pain meds and also help you sleep. I made sure I did that at night in particular. Do take the stool softener too with a lot of water. You're whole body is not used to being shocked by pain meds or anesthesia. It can affect your whole body for several days. I noticed that it hindered some of my digestion and also dried out my skin and face. This is normal. Plus, showering is difficult so I was not keeping up with my usual regimen of washing my hair as often, washing my face in am and pm, or applying lotion everyday. I could definitely tell the difference after the first week. However, you have to just accept it and allow yourself to rest and take the meds for the first week or so until you're body can adjust and detox.

Some other things you can do to help your body: Drink A LOT OF WATER. I also recommend adding lemon because it naturally helps to cleanse and detoxify your body. Probiotics and digestive enzymes can also help your overall stomach/intestine/digestive health if you take them as directed.  I take a probiotic in am and pm (on empty stomach) and digestive enzyme with each meal. I am also gluten intolerant and dairy sensitive so watching what I eat is imperative, particularly now that I've just been through surgery and am on strong medication!

Make sure that you start moving and stretching ASAP. I'm non weight bearing - but that doesn't mean I can't do leg lifts for strength and work on my flexibility. (I will post my current PT workouts soon). My brace is unlocked so I'm working up to 90deg. I was able to do this by the end of the first week. That is my limit still at week 2.

Once I began the second week, along with physical therapy my energy levels began to improve. Because I was doing PT prior to my surgery and I have a good grasp on what to do and my body limits, I've chosen to do PT twice a week. I can do the rest at home. I know when I begin walking again I will need to go at least 3x/wk to utilize more of the equipment and machines.

I spend a lot of time on the couch (not the most fun, I know). I keep my leg elevated most of the day unless I have an appointment or need to run an errand. The rest of the day revolves around trying to cook my food and plan when I need help during the week.

I think I am progressing well. I have my week 2 follow up tomorrow - my sutures will come out from the arthroscope but not the 2 larger incisions. I'm doing my best to keep my outlook positive and do my exercises each night. I will say that the overcompensation is affecting my right leg/hip. I look forward to when I can begin proper weight transfer again.

6 weeks until I'm weight bearing!!

2 comments:

  1. Samantha,

    My son is having this surgery next month.
    I was wondering how your recovery is going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha I hope u r doing well. How is ur progression?
    When did u take out ur stutures from the large incisions?
    I really find ur blogs important for me

    ReplyDelete